Most translation agencies charge their clients for translation work based on per word or per page. For the price per word model, it will greatly depend on the complexity of the text and which language you are translating from and into. Some agencies also charge by per hour which means that the final price of your translation service will depend on how many hours the translator estimates he or she will have to work on the translation.
If you do not know the pricing models for translation services, sometimes you will be spending more than you should. Now, let us discuss 5 tips for saving money on translation services:
1. Use free translation tools for internal and unofficial communication. You can save yourself and your company a lot of money by using free translation tools to for internal and unofficial communication. For external and official documents, you should always engage a professional agency or translator to perform the translation work for you.
2. Avoid repetition in your text. You should avoid repetition in your text and ask for discount for repetition. When writing your text, try to be as straightforward as possible. When engaging a translation agency, they should have software that can compute the total number of words and repetitions. Ask for these numbers and negotiate a good deal out of it.
3. Shortlist couples of agencies. You should plan ahead and source out different agencies to compare quotes. By planning ahead, you do not need to ask for the translation to be ready within a short period of time which will usually cost more than usual. So, go back to your drawing board and plan out every translation work that needs to be done for the next 6 months so as not to pay more than what you should pay.
4. Do not take up the cheapest translation service that is being offered to you. Sometimes, you will need to pay more if the translation work needs to be re-do. So make sure that the agency that you choose has the experience and credential that can perform the job well for you.
5. Avoid using complex formatting for your documents. Complex layout costs more; therefore you should provide the text to be translated in a Microsoft Words file with little or no formatting. This will simplify the workload of the translator and will therefore cost you lesser to have the text translated.
With these 5 tips, you now better prepared to save money on the next translation service that you or your company wishes to take up.